All Winter long I dream of fragrant summer herbs, in my soup, on my eggs, with my pasta. Luckily, I live in California, where you get can get fresh locally grown herbs, all year long.
My favorite way to prepare, eat basil is in dainty little chiffonades. I picked up this neat trick from a friend years ago. You can apply this method to anything that is rollable. =)
- Pick off individual basil leaves, wash and dry.
- Stack them up neatly. It helps to put the larger ones on the bottom.
- Roll it up, like you would a cigar.
- Use a sharp unserated chef's knife to slice thin slices vertically.
- Top on virtually anything for instant fragrance and pizzaz.