BFF shed light one day and explained, 'they're just like little lettuce heads, and they have a lot of fiber (wink wink).' I like lettuce and a girl is always in need of fiber. I can't get enough of them now, whole, roasted, braised, shaved, fried...ok maybe not fried, but this is by far my favorite recipe.
1 slice of pancetta with a 1/2 inch thickness, cut into little pieces
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 lb of brussel sprouts, cut vertically into thin slices
1/4 cup of chicken broth
1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
Salt to taste
1/4 cup of toasted almonds
- Toast the almonds in a clean pan until lightly brown and set aside.
- Cook the pancetta in a large pan until the fat is render. Remove pancetta to a plate, reserving fat in pan.
- Add the red pepper flakes to add flavor to the fat. Let sit for a minute.
- Turn the heat up to medium high, add brussel sprouts and let it brown. Cook about five minutes.
- Add chicken broth, pepper and a pinch of salt. Remember that pancetta is like bacon, so it already has some salt.
- Cook until the liquid is completely burned off.
- Add the pancetta and almonds in, and cook for just another minute. Brussel sprouts should be well browned.