I love me some biscuits!
Ingredients, adapted from Epicurious
3/4 cup chilled buttermilk
1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
1 1/2 cups self rising flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, plus more for sprinkling
1 stick unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tablespoon melted butter
Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Combine buttermilk and green onions in a medium bowl, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar and black pepper.
- Add butter and mix with fingers or pastry cutter, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add buttermilk mixture and stir until moist clumps form.
- Gather dough together onto floured surface and knead gently, just to combine, about 3 or 4 turns. You don't want to overknead or the biscuits will come out dense.
- Roll or smoosh out to about 3/4 inch height.
- Using a lightly floured 2 inch cookie cutter, cut out as many biscuits as you can. I used a 2 inch flower cutter. NOTE: When cutting our biscuits, make sure not to use a twisting motion, as this will prevent your biscuits from rising properly. You want to press down and lift straight up, working in a vertical motion.
- Reroll scraps and cut out additional biscuits.
- Place biscuits 2 inches apart on a lined baking sheet. Use a silpat or parchment paper.
- Brush tops of biscuits with melted butter and sprinkle lightly with coarse sea salt and black pepper.
- Bake until golden brown and properly risen. Tester inserted in the center should come out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Serve with jalapeno honey/jelly if you have it.